Here are the sponsored contests for the 2017 Writers Conference. Enter as many as you like.
NOTE: Contest rules are located at the bottom of the page.
Writers Contests for 2017
1. Don’t Believe Your Eyes
Fiction where things aren’t as they seem. 2000 word max.
Sponsor: White County Creative Writers
2. 60/40 Award
Essay about the teacher or coach who demanded excellence from you, and how that affected your life. 1500 word max. Entries not adhering to strict WCCW submission guidelines will be disqualified. ($60/$40)
Awards only for 1st and 2nd place—submit your best work.
Sponsor: Peggy Sanders
3. Zippy Kids Award
A day in the life of a 19th century Arkansan seen through the eyes of a child. 1500 word max.
Sponsor: The Wantulok Family/Zippy Kids
4. DON’T BURST MY BUBBLE
Humorous fantasy short story with at least 1 balloon as a pivotal part of the plot. BRIEF critique given if requested on 1st page. 2500 word maximum.
Sponsor: Carol Hodges
5. Weird Al Contest Award
Song parody. Write new words (humorous or serious) to the tune of either “Dixie” or “White Christmas.” Must scan musically.
Sponsor: Dorothy Hatfield
6. Just A Minute
A minute poem. Subject: Any. (Click here for an example)
Sponsor: Gin Creek Poets
7. What the He** is a Villanelle?
Award – Villanelle, any subject. (Click here for more information)
Sponsor: Gayle Glass
8. Home Sweet Home
Free verse poem, 24 lines max. Subject – Home.
Sponsor: Kim Vernon
9. Five Word Contest
Prose, any genre. Must include these 5 words in text: temper, azure, sailboat, countrified, and peppermint. Must be “family-friendly.” 950-1000 words.
Sponsor: Penpoint Writers Group
10. Del Garrett’s Gimme the Creeps Award
Psychological Horror. Twilight Zone short story. 1500 words max. Indicate if you agree to being published. (no extra pay)
Sponsor: Del Garrett
11. The Gary R. Hoffman Award
From Okeechobee, FL, Gary has won awards in many different genres at WCCW’s Annual Writers Conference for over 10 years, yet we know nothing more about him. Witness protection program? Alias? Use your imagination and write a fictional autobiography of Gary R. Hoffman. 1500 word max. Gary and the Okeechobee Writers Club, you have to sit this one out!
Sponsor: W.E.B. Enterprises and Glassworks, Ink
12. Erdel Family Award
Humorous short story or memoir. 2500 word max.
Sponsor: Ellen Withers
Award: Short story about a damsel in distress set primarily outdoors (E.g., beach, mountains, forest, etc.). Who is trying to harm her & why? Can she save herself? Will she be rescued by a dashing hero? Or ? 2500 word max. No erotica or profanity.
Sponsor: Gary Breezeel
14. Lovepat Press Award
Haiku sequence: modern or traditional. 15 line limit. $25; $15; $10; $5, $5, $5. (3 HM’s awarded)
Sponsor: Pat Laster
15. The Rest is History
What if a major historical event had happened differently? 1500 word max.
Sponsor: Gary Rodgers
16. Treasure Hunt
Provide clues and solution for a St. Patrick’s Day treasure hunt at a celebration weekend. 2000 word max.
Sponsor: Brenda Iannacone
17. That’s Life Award
Couple must meet, have a falling out, and reconcile in 800 words or less.
18. Take Five
Sponsor: Rhonda Roberts & Kim Vernon
19. River Poets Award
Double Etheree poem. Subject: Woman’s work. 20 lines. (Click here for example)
Sponsor: River Poets of Batesville
Open to Arkansas residents only
20. Southern Story Award
Short Story, any genre, 2000 words max. Create your best “Southern tale.” (Awards $50/$30/$20.)
Sponsor: Madelyn F. Young
(Following the conference, Madelyn will return a copy of your story with a full critique for a $5 fee. Contact her at email@example.com after the conference.)
* * * * *
Deadline to postmark contest entries: July 28, 2017
For questions about contests or contest regulations, call (501) 580-0477, or email to:
1. Conference registration does not include contest fees. Contest fees of $5.00 for the first entry and $3.00 for each additional entry thereafter must be mailed on or before July 28, 2017. Total your entry fees and make one check payable to White County Creative Writers.
Mail entries and fees to:
802 W. Center
Beebe, AR 72012.
No fees returned. Winners not attending will be notified by mail one week after the conference.
2. WCCW is not responsible for manuscripts lost, delayed, or received too late for judging. Do not send SASE: No entries will be returned. Entries will be destroyed two weeks after conference.
3. Only one typed, unpublished manuscript may be entered in each contest. Double-space prose; poetry may be double- or single-spaced. Use standard manuscript form – (see this page )
4. No entry may be entered in more than one contest. No one may enter the contest for which he or she serves as sponsor, chairman, or judge. Noncompliance with ANY rules will result in a disqualified entry.
5. Put contest number and name of award in upper left corner of each manuscript. Show word/line count in upper right corner per several judges’ requests. Do not put your name on the manuscript. Attach a cover sheet to each manuscript with (a) number and name of contest, (b) title of entry, (c) first line of entry, and (d) your name, mailing address, and telephone number.
6. Prizes and other considerations: All awards $25/$15/$10 unless otherwise noted. Contest #20 is for Arkansas Residents only. HM’s awarded at judges’ discretion.