Here are the sponsored contests for the 2019 Writers Conference. Enter as many as you like!
NOTE: Contest rules are located at the bottom of the page.
Unless indicated otherwise, contest awards are:
$25 First Place.
$15 Second Place.
$10 Third Place.
1. White County Creative Writers Award:
A short story romance. 800 words or less. Aim toward the Women’s World Magazine guidelines. Awards: $50 First Place / $30 Second Place / $20 Third Place.
Sponsor: White County Creative Writers.
2. Zippy Kids Award: The Piece/Peace Makers:
Best friends travel back in time to the Revolutionary War to mend the world, demonstrating how a single moment in history changes the world for all time. 1,200 – 3,000 words.
Sponsor: Zippy Kids
3. Take a Vacation:
Creative Non-Fiction story about a vacation. Tell us a true story but make it entertaining. 1500 word max.
Sponsor: Vernon-Rodgers Tales
4. PenPoint Writers Award:
Scary short story, fiction. Between 1500-2000 words. Any genre, any subject. NO sex or violence. Must include the following: an abandoned lake house, inclement weather, and a mysterious light.
Sponsor: PenPoint Writers Group.
5. Granny’s Gadgets Award:
Story about keepsakes found in a very old trunk discovered in a country barn, and about the great grandmother they belonged to. 2000 words max. Formatting counts.
Sponsor: Peggy Sanders
6. Whodunnit Award:
Short story in which a dead body is discovered at a well-known Arkansas landmark (e.g., Tolec Mounds, Petit Jean Mountain, Crater of Diamonds State Park). Foul play is indicated. Create a sleuth who solves the crime. Make the setting an integral part of your story. 2500 word max. No erotica or profanity.
Sponsor: Gary Breezeel
7. LovePat Press Award:
Personal essay. Subject “How Things Are Different From How You Expected Them to Be.” 1000 words or less.
Sponsor: Pat Laster
8. Reversal Award:
Rhymed Poetry, any subject. Eight lines — two 4 line stanzas or one 8 line stanza. Rhyme scheme: a-b-c-d-d-c-b-a.
Sponsor: Gayle Glass
9. RobertsFamilyArk Award:
Children’s Picture Book. Text only. 500 words.
Sponsor: Rhonda Roberts.
10. The Take Five Award:
A cinquain poem, any subject.
Sponsor: Gayle Glass.
11. Del Garrett’s Gimme the Creeps Award:
Horror story (no slashers) about a midnight adventure in a graveyard. Length: 1000 to 1500 words. Indicate in upper left corner of title page if you want the story published in upcoming anthology. No extra payment, but you will receive a free copy of the book, if accepted.
Sponsor: Del Garrett
12. Nelson Poetry Award:
Poem for children, any subject. Must have a clear rhyme scheme. 20 line limit.
Sponsor: Dennis and Donna Nelson
13. How-to Contest:
Tell us step-by-step how to master any process, from building a rocket, to boiling water, finding inner peace, your choice. 1000 words or less. Click here for more info.
Sponsor: Steve May
14. Rescue Award:
True story about a dog or cat (or other animal) rescue, especially from a shelter. 1200 words max.
Sponsor: Gary Rodgers.
15. Stranger Adventures:
Humorous Fantasy Short Story. 2,500 max words. Otherworldly being willingly or unwillingly inhabits the body of a middle school teacher for a week. For brief critique, request on first page of entry.
Sponsor: Carol Hodges.
16. Gin Creek Poetry:
A free verse poem. Subject: your thoughts on or reaction to Robert Frost’s Mending Wall. 40 lines max.
Sponsor: Gin Creek Poets.
17. Let’s Play Award:
One act play, 20 – 40 pages. Will NOT be judged on formatting as long as the judge can tell who is talking and what they are doing. Scribd.com/sample-play-script.
Sponsor: Dot Hatfield.
1. Conference registration does not include contest fees. Contest fees of $5.00 for the first entry and $3.00 for each additional entry thereafter must be mailed on or before July 31, 2019. Total your entry fees and make one check payable to White County Creative Writers.
Mail entries and fees to:
802 W. Center
Beebe, AR 72012.
No fees returned. Winners not attending will be notified by mail one week after the conference.
2. WCCW is not responsible for manuscripts lost, delayed, or received too late for judging. Do not send SASE: No entries will be returned. Entries will be destroyed two weeks after conference.
3. Only one typed, unpublished manuscript may be entered in each contest. Double-space prose; poetry may be double- or single-spaced. Use standard manuscript form – (see this page )
4. No entry may be entered in more than one contest. No one may enter the contest for which he or she serves as sponsor, chairman, or judge. Noncompliance with ANY rules will result in a disqualified entry.
5. Put contest number and name of award in upper left corner of each manuscript.Show word/line count in upper right corner per several judges’ requests. Do not put your name on the manuscript. Attach a cover sheet to each manuscript with (a) number and name of contest, (b) title of entry, (c) first line of entry, and (d) your name, mailing address, and telephone number.
6. Prizes and other considerations: All awards $25/$15/$10 unless otherwise noted. HM’s awarded at judges’ discretion.
• Unless otherwise noted, contests awards include:
$25 First Place. $15 Second Place. $10 Third Place.
• For more information about our contests, visit: